Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Medium & the Muse

I've been reading Oriah's book What We Ache For about creativity. I've always considered myself to be a creative person, but in a very prescribed way. I'm a rule follower, so I thrive on patterns, recipes, classes and workshops. My creative endeavors have included music, sewing, machine embroidery and other small craft projects. I've never faced a blank canvas and challenged myself to create something from nothing. Recently, I've challenged myself to do just that.

So, I've been scouring the book, craft, and fabric stores for some jumping off points. I was urged by a creative mentor not to spend a lot of money getting started. Just invest in a few good tools and supplies, and then use what I already have. Fat chance. I LOVE book stores and craft stores and hardware stores and fabric stores. Oh, the possibilities. I wander the aisles, waiting for something to inspire me. To jog a memory (Oh yeah, I've always wanted to try that...).
I found these clear tiles at Joann's over the holiday weekend. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with them and started prowling around Etsy, Jim Holtz' website, and got some inspiration. When I sat down to "play" tonight, I had such anxiety. I don't know what makes me think I can pull this off. I am NOT an artist. But Oriah talks about the importance of going to the journal, the canvas, the "medium" as a regular practice. Inspired or not. Ideas or not. Just go to the medium and see what comes up. And lo and behold, after a while, I got some good stuff out.

So, here's to meeting "the medium" and hoping the muse might peer over my shoulder and whisper one sweet, small "yes".

No comments:

Post a Comment