Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 15: Kind of Blue

Maybe it's the weather. It has to be the fact that even though I knew that we in New England could make it until April without at least one more snow, I can't accept the fact that snow is in the forecast for tonight. Whatever the reason, I'm feeling a shade of blue today. It's not the standard shade that comes to mind when one says she's feeling blue. or the dark blue black of a stormy ocean. I feel Cobalt Blue, which Wikipedia defines as a cool, slightly desaturated blue. For a color to be desaturated, white, black, or gray is added so that the new color is noticeably different, but still in the color family of origin.

It is difficult for me to be in this shade. I imagine it is a natural inclination to try and move away as quickly as possible from feelings that are less the pleasant. It's the whole pulling away from the hot stove reflex. The exact opposite of this impulse to move away from sadness is the sunflower.

The sunflower spends her entire day bending, bowing, and following the sunlight. It kind of makes me wonder why more plants don't move with the sunlight rather than staying rooted in one position waiting for the light to come to it. How come the sunflower took on that particular adaptation? What makes it different from others in her family of origin? I imagine the other flowers talking behind sunflowers' back: "Look at the way she throws herself around like that. Have some dignity and stand of straight for heaven's sake." Or maybe they envy her flow. Or maybe they don't have a thing to say about it and they do what they do and let sunflower do what she does.

Granted, it is not in every flower's nature to go the light. Some prefer the cool of the shade and I do not judge them for that. I do wonder what lessons I can take from the sunflower. I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment