Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 7: A Not Sexy Day in the Suburbs

Today was not a sexy day. It was payday, so rather than heading to Nordstroms, which is what I wanted to do, I got all of my critical life-errands done. I started at the dry cleaners and then the gas station to fill the tank, something I've been afraid to do since gas prices are stupid high. From there, I hit Shaw's for "the big shop", the one that includes everything from spices to meats. Ran home to put the groceries away and eat an early lunch before going to physical therapy. Jumped back into the car and went to Whole Foods for fruits and veggies (more stupid high prices) and then Walmart.
SIDEBAR: I know that there are strong feelings about both Whole Foods and Walmart. I actually hate myself when I shop at Whole Foods. I'm a total cliche: diesel wagon, NPR listener, voted for Obama, etc. Everyone is just a little too pleased with themselves there. But the fruits and veggies just taste better. On the other hand, I hate myself when I shop at Walmart. But in order to afford the fruits and veggies from Whole Foods, I have to save money on the toilet paper and toothpaste. I shop at Target, too, but it wasn't on my route and I didn't want to waste the gas.  Do I sound shamed enough here? I will not be judged (except by me and nobody does it better than me) so there.
Sooooo getting back to my day,

I picked up coffee and the great new K-cup coffee store in town, which happens to be next door to the knitting shop, so I had to swing in there before heading back out to pick up my son who stayed late at school for lacrosse. I had some time to kill, so I popped into TJ Maxx (cheaper than Nordstroms so its ok). By 5pm, I pulled back into the driveway.

It was, by all accounts, a pretty typical, not particulary sexy, day in the suburbs. And when my husband comes home and asks me what I did today, I'll most likely answer: "Not much." Except that all day I heard story after story about Japan. And as I bitched and moaned while schlepping my bags into the house, I stopped to be grateful for:

  1. Having a car to gas up
  2. Buying food to eat 
  3. A family to care for
  4. Health insurance, health insurance, health insurance
  5. People to share my regular, not sexy, but good life
Simon Winchester, a writer and guest on this morning's "The Takeaway" on NPR says: "Man lives on the earth with geological consent." I believe it is not only geological, but also spiritual consent. There is something to be said about living with intention and consciousness. It is important for me to think about how my daily choices (Whole Foods and Walmart) impact the world. I am charged with being a good steward over what I have been given. It may not be sexy, but it sure is powerful and I'm thankful to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment