Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 6: Open Letter to My Family

To the person who left the empty peanut butter granola bar box in the pantry, thank you. Also, I truly appreciate the tablespoon of Cocoa Krispies you left for me. They really hit the spot and satisfied my late evening chocolate craving. While I have your attention, I want to acknowledge the many times one square of toilet paper is left on the roll. I know that you could just go ahead and use it, but the fact that you think enough to leave some for the next person touches that special part of me that I can't express here. The gratitude I feel, sharing the fridge with a person who leaves behind a shot glass worth of orange juice, is, on some days, so overwhelming that I'm left at a loss for words.

And just a reminder that the grocery store is, in fact, a public institution. I know that you've seen me, on the rare occasions you darken the store's doorstep, use a card at the checkout. It's used for discounts, not for proof of membership. Anyone can go into and shop there when food or other items run out.

So again, my deepest thanks for all the thoughtfulness through the years. My heart is full that you can keep these blessings for yourselves. I don't think I can't take much more.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment