Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 28: If it's raining, it must be a Game Day










Well, it's lacrosse day, so that means one thing: rain. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a trend. At least I gave myself enough to snag a mocha latte and still snag the prime parking spot. I can see the whole field from inside my warm and dry car. I love the boy, but it's a long season

I don't usually work on Tuesdays, but this morning I taught a mat class as part of New Hope staff self-care day. New Hope is a domestic violence service provider. They run two shelters as well as providing a myriad of services. Next week, I am going to the four-day intensive training program for new staff and volunteers. I am going to volunteer.

There are lots of volunteer options from hotline and shelter, to court advocacy or envelope stuffing. I can get as involved as I want. I haven't quite decided what I want to do, but I am pretty sure I want to teach a few Pilates classes at the shelters. One the women in class today said she really appreciated the imagery I used to describe locating and strengthening the spine. She thought that language would go a long way with the women at the shelter.

I'm nervous about next week. I know I will hear and see things that I know subconsciously. But acknowledging it will be a whole other thing. My friend Julie, who works with an agency serving at-risk families, gave me some good advice. She told me to try hard to feel like I didn't have what it takes to serve. I have gifts already and the key is to be patient enough to find the right place to use them. I got confirmation this morning that what I do made a difference for the staff. I hope it can for the people they serve, too.

Gotta run, it's time for the game to start.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Location:Wentworth St,,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment